Saturday, January 20, 2018

First Look - Oakland Athletics

Here's the last in a 5-part series where we get the first look at a new team's uniforms.

Not an expansion team this time, but the recently-relocated Athletics. They moved from Kansas City after the 1967 season, but it took Topps 1 1/2 years to catch up with new player photos.

Included below are the rookie cards for Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi, and Ed Sprague.


The multi-player card shown above was also posted to this 1969 blog in August 2009 by the blog's previous owner. That is the first blog post I found (not even realizing that Google Blogger existed at that time). A few days later I created an account, and here we are 7+ years later!

2 comments:

scott allan said...

I love how tightly cropped the photos in the 1969 set are. Makes it look like somebody went to spring training and took Polaroids. I've seen many blog comments on how 'boring' the posed shots of the 60s and 70s are, but I would take these over most of the modern action shots any day. Gives more of a sense of who the player is.

Jim from Downingtown said...

I'm not sure if I like the 1967 Athletics (last in KC) or the 1969 Athletics (1st good shots in Oakland) cards best.

Any year is better than the 1968 A's cards!